ThinkHouse NC opens its doors to ten young entrepreneurs
Third-annual Accelerator Program to kick off in August
July 14, 2015: Raleigh, NC — ThinkHouse NC, a nine-month living and learning accelerator based in the historic Boylan Heights neighborhood, announces today its third class of entrepreneurial fellows. The ThinkHouse, founded in fall 2013 by HQ Raleigh co-founders Brooks Bell, Jesse Lipson, Jason Widen, and Christopher Gergen, provides high-caliber mentorship, lean-startup training, resources and workspace to recent college graduates launching their own entrepreneurial ventures.
The 2015-2016 program is the third and largest class of Fellows, with ten young entrepreneurs participating. The third class also welcomes the highest number of female participants yet, with four women-founded businesses.
2015-2016 ThinkHouse Fellows include:
- Ryan O’Donnell – EmployUs: EmployUs builds software that helps companies win the war for top talent and helps connectors earn money by getting their friends hired.
- Colin Reaves — LocationINT: LocationINT provides location intelligence and consumer insights to the real estate industry through the cloud.
- Michael Pham — Insite Ventures: InSite Ventures uses a combination of spatial data, retailer data, and statistics to help retailers with their site selection when picking new locations and help commercial brokers fill vacancies.
- David LiCause — Broke Compass: Broke Compass is an app that allows business travelers from large companies to connect with their co-workers and build their personal and professional network, while they’re on the road..
- Kyle Sheats — Run Bucks: Run Bucks a mobile application that incentivizes exercises through redeemable activity points (Run Bucks) and can be redeemed for prizes in the Run Bucks Marketplace.
- Kate Van Vorst — The Raleigh Arts Collective: The Raleigh Arts Collective is a cultural hub and makerspace, supporting innovative thinking and design.
- Rebecca Holmes — Ello Raw: Ello Raw has a mission to make healthy, raw foods available for all people.
- Jared Childs — Pitch & Primer: Pitch & Primer is a place where men can shop local and nationally made clothing and accessories, while enjoying a North Carolina craft beer.
- Allison Fairbank — Fresh Box: Fresh Box LLC is the first home food preservation company that keeps food fresh longer by scaling down a leading industrial food preservation technology.
These nine companies will participate in the program from mid-August until the end of May 2016, at which point they will join a list of alumni including David Shaner of Offline Media, Sean Maroni of BetaVersity, Michael Hoy of BoomboxFM, Sophia Hyder of Papilia, and more.
For more information on the new fellows or on the eight entrepreneurs who graduated from the program earlier this summer, please visit http://thinkhouse.us.
About ThinkHouse NC: The ThinkHouse is a nine-month action-learning residential accelerator based out of a fully renovated house in Raleigh’s Boylan Heights neighborhood. The program provides recent graduates with the environment, network, resources, and skills required to build profitable and scalable companies.
David Licause is a UNC graduate with a passion for traveling. Other interests of David’s includes running, cycling, and any excuse to get outdoors. David also likes to spend time teaching the fundamentals of boxing to students through the UNC Boxing Club. David’s company, Broke Compass, is an app that allows business travelers at large companies to connect with their co-workers and build their personal and professional network, while they’re on the road. Whether you’re interested in going to a music festival, surfing at the beach, or just checking out a cool restaurant, use Broke Compass to meet other travelers from your company to join you on your adventure!
Kyle Sheats is a recent NC State graduate who was a member of the Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization, an inaugural member of the NC State Entrepreneurship Clinic and one of our 2015-2016 ThinkHouse fellows. Kyle’s company, Run Bucks, in it’s simplest form, is a mobile application that incentivizes exercise through redeemable activity points. These activity points, “Run Bucks”, can be redeemed for prizes within the Run Bucks Marketplace. By providing tangible incentives we introduce new drivers towards a healthier lifestyle and look to focus on runner motivation rather than runner metrics. Other interests include design, photography, and aerial cinematography. We are excited to welcome Kyle into the ThinkHouse this year and can’t wait to see what’s to come for Run Bucks!
Meet Jared! He is a NC State Alumni who describes himself as ‘a bit of a marketing nerd who loves brands that are disrupting their industry’. Jared loves Raleigh and thinks we’re blessed to live in a growing city with so much potential. He was also an inaugural member of the NC State Entrepreneurship Clinic, a partner of HQ Raleigh’s. Among Jared’s interests, he’s a huge fan of football, bourbon, and craft beers. Jared’s company, Pitch & Primer, is a concept for a men’s retail store in downtown Raleigh where quality styles and craft beer are under one roof. Pitch & Primer is a place where men can shop local and nationally made clothing and accessories, while enjoying a North Carolina craft beer. We focus on the quality and the craftsmanship when curating brands and beers to sell with a heavy emphasis on locally made. We’re looking to redefine the way guys buy clothes by creating an environment unlike any other shopping experience.
Meet Allison Fairbank one of our 2015-2016 ThinkHouse fellows! Allison is often mistaken for her identical twin sister but her ideas are uniquely her own. Allison is interested in anything food, electronics, and outdoors related. Fresh Box LLC is the first home food preservation company that keeps food fresh longer by scaling down a leading industrial food preservation technology. In the United States 40% of the food produced goes uneaten costing the average family around $2,000 each year. Fresh Box is aimed to reduce this avoidable food waste and allow households to purchase food with fewer concerns. Unlike other solutions on the market today such as conventional plastic containers, freezing, and canning – Fresh Box truly keeps food fresh while maintaining it’s natural taste, texture and nutritional content. At Fresh Box we are passionate about addressing the world’s greatest energy, environmental and economic challenges.
| Allison Fairbank | Fresh Box LLC |
Meet Rebecca Holmes! She is a recent Duke University graduate with a passion for dance and fitness. Rebecca’s business, Ello Raw, has a mission to make healthy, raw foods available to all people. After years of watching her family struggle with health problems, Becky began to search for a healthy, delicious alternative that everyone could enjoy. Ello Raw dessert bites contain no preservatives, fillers, or fake ingredients. We are so excited to have Becky and Ello Raw representing the ThinkHouse this year and can’t wait to see all of their accomplishments!